Friday, December 19, 2008

#91: Sophie's Choice (1982, Meryl Streep)


Alright, AFI. You're starting to show a pattern early on. I've watched four movies for the first time since I started this, and they have been about race, drugs, religion, and Auschwitz. I guess Americans really are so dull as to show their greatest interest in themes that are easy to grasp. I guess I should stop saying "It wouldn't be on the countdown if it wasn't about..." because it feels more and more like the list will be full of gimmicks.

Sophie's Choice is a story of a bizarro isosceles love triangle with two tragically flawed characters. It's a venture into being a product of one's circumstances. A movie generally for chicks from 25 years ago is not something I'd normally pick and watch on my own. C'mon, Kevin Kline and Meryl Streep are not actors in my normal movies. I only know the third guy from Ghostbusters 2. It's a lot about relationships, a lot of people sitting around in pink rooms. Anything well-made with the Holocaust, though, is a recipe for critical success. I'm learning as I go.

1 Comments:

Blogger Josh said...

"I only know the third guy from Ghostbusters 2." That's hilarious!

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw him in this movie, too.

I'm also lost on why exactly this is considered a Top 100 film.

March 5, 2010 at 6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home